Re: [Amps] parasitic suppressor for six meters... and more

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] parasitic suppressor for six meters... and more
From: Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 14:16:15 -0600
Thanks, everybody, for weighing in on comments, re my request for advice about 6m parasitic suppressors. The near-consensus viewpoint was that no suppressors were needed for the 3CX800A7 in the amplifier. Good advice.

As it turned out, my "power supply problem" mentioned below turned out to be a nightmare, with an interesting twist. The plate voltage in the amp normally runs about 2400V. The problem is that it intermittently dropped down to about 1950V, with no discernible pattern. My first thought was that I had a bad diode block (the amp used four 3kV/500mA blocks in a bridge rectifier). I upgraded the diodes to 3kV/1Amp modules, but it made no difference. I checked the six 330uF/450V electrolytics in the HV capacitor bank, and they all tested good. I measured the voltage drop across the six 220K bleeder resistors and everything checked fine.

Next, I checked the primary side of the supply -- the switches, power relay, and step-start circuit and everything worked perfectly. Now I was beginning to worry about the plate transformer, which is a 35-year-old transformer from an Alpha 76 amplifier with five secondary windings (made by Berkshire Transformer Company, now defunct). I still use a couple of BTC transformers and they're excellent quality. I was hoping I didn't have a shorted winding somewhere, but all symptoms were pointing toward the transformer.

Crossing my fingers I measured the RMS AC voltage from the transformer HV secondary across the diode bridge, and it was perfect - exactly what one would expect for 2400VDC. Whew. But the DC voltage across the capacitor bank showed 1950VDC. Now I was really confused, since I'd checked all the components in the rectifier/filter caps and they all checked good.  How could unrectified AC voltage be good, but rectified and filtered DC voltage be low by 450VDC. That was a head-scratcher.

By then, it was late at night and time to shut off the amplifier. I unplugged it, watched the HV decay on the panel meter, then grounded the filter bank with clip leads to fully eliminate any residual charge. I turned off my workshop light and was about to walk out the room when, in the dark, I saw a weak violet glow coming from the amplifier in region near the capacitor bank. It was a dim pinpoint of light, almost like a reflection from something. Of course, with the capacitor bank discharged (clipleads were still in place), and the amplifier unplugged, there was no way anything could be glowing inside. Encouraged that I was on the path to a correct diagnoseis I just went to bed. The next day I found the problem.

A one inch long wire jumper connected one of the 330uF electrolytics to an adjacent capacitor in the string. The jumper was 20AWG solid tinned wire with teflon sleeving around it. The glow was coming from the middle of the wire, through the sleeving! Evidently, when I wired up the capacitor, I must have nicked the solid wire before I slipped the teflon sleeving on it. Over time, the wire burned through at the weakened point, eventually opening up. Once that happened, that particular capacitor was electrically removed from the capacitor bank and no longer connected to its bleeder, The stored charge in it was enough to create a tiny corona discharge that emitted violet light. Interestingly, the next day the capacitor still held 300VDC of charge and the corona was still glowing. The fix of course was to replace the wire. That took five minutes. Identifying the problem took about seven hours. A very strange but interesting experience.
73,
Jim W8ZR