[Amps] Ccs

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Ccs
From: Shane Youhouse <kd6vxi@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 15:39:21 -0800
My apologies for the drivel post I made a few minutes ago.  Didn't realize
my copy paste on the phone had grabbed an entire thread!  This was what I
meant to write, in regard to the ccs ratings of amplifiers.

I have a 1kw amplifier.

It is guaranteed.  1kw out, any mode, as long as the tube retains emission.

Harris RF103.  Largish beast, grid pins where all directly grounded and I
run a 4pr1000 in it, because I have one.  Don't have the 3-1000 it came
with factory.  That's the only thing done to it.

It weighs HUNDREDS of pounds. It's got a 3.3 kva power supply in it.

It idles at, and damn near full TX out, will be at 3300 volts.  1A.

I dont know of many hams that would have this.  It's huge, heavy, a beast,
and almost all current hams would hire a moving company to dispose of it
(it was given to me, to move it, by a friend moving out of town)

I have keyed it at a kilowatt into my dummy load (1kw Kanthar resistor in
30 gallons of transformer oil, cooled) for a weekend.

Try that with anything made today.  I am going to put an 8877 or 3cx1000A7
on it if that glass rube ever wears out.  I'd like to lower the drive to 60
or so watts to provide a sweet spot for imd on the exciter.

Don't get me started on my 250 lb 8877, 400 lb 3cx3000 or the transformers!

--Shane

KD6VXI