[Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 12:15:28 -0800
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 10:46:56 -0800
From: Elliott L <kilocharlie8@gmail.com>
To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Cc: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor

<Alright, there were some really interesting comments on this question,
,thank you all!

<If I were to ditch the HV choke and keep the plate transformer, can I
simply add additional caps in parallel with the existing 20uF cap? Will an
extra 20-40uF do the trick? I see a lot on eBay coming out of Russia.

Also, should I be worried about the increase of inrush on power-on?

I like the idea of ditching the choke, it really does seem unnecessary.

Thanks,

--E
W6EL

##  Nope, cuz then you have switched from a choke input filter to a
C input filter.

##  what is your B+ right now at idle..when it was working correctly ?
lets assume it was say 3000 vdc.    Your plate xfmr would have been
3333 vac secondary.   3333 x .9 = 3000 vdc .  That’s in a choke
input with lotsa bleeder current.

##  Take the same  3333 vac sec and now use a C input filter, and it now
becomes   3333 x 1.414  =     4713 vdc

##  see if the schematic sez what the sec vac is.... then multiply by 1.414
to derive what your new B+ value will be.

##  This is the issue with these older resonant and non resonant choke
input supplies.   You cant simply swap to a high C filter, without the
B+ skyrocketing in value.   If you want to swap to a high C filter,
you require a plate xfmr with a much lower vac sec.

##  which is actually not a bad idea.  Hyboer will make any size xfmr
u want for a reasonable cost, with whatever pri and sec taps you want.

##  A   3110 vdc supply only requires a 1100 vac sec if a doubler is used.
Then just a series string of 8 x 450 vdc lytics.   or a 2200 vac sec and a FWB.

Jim   VE7RF