Re: [Amps] SB-220 fixed

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 fixed
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 22:49:48 +0000 (UTC)
As you might expect, this problem turned out to be trivial once found.

The problem was that the black B- wire running from the cap board to the
diode/mixer board was hanging by a thread.  Heath used stranded wire for this;
if I were building from scratch, I'd probably use solid.

It *looked* like it was attached, and when I did the meter testing the other
day I must have contacted the wire instead of the joint. But I went to examine
the joint closer, the one or two strands that were holding it broke off with no
effort.  A quick re-stripping and re-solder and...

I'm now getting 3100V+ on the built-in HV meter.  All good.  Now I just need to
reassemble everything, close the case, and see if I can make the RF come out
and the smoke stay in. :-)

Thanks for the help and encouragement.  The moral of the story is, when you
hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.  Usually it's something silly like a
bad joint or a bum resistor.  For a while, I forgot that key bit of advice.

73,
Cathy