[Amps] Subject: Eimac 3CX800A7 in 87a, was Re: Alpha 87A Alpha Max Upgr

To: "Jerry O. Stern" <jsternmd@att.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Subject: Eimac 3CX800A7 in 87a, was Re: Alpha 87A Alpha Max Upgrade
From: Kimo Chun <kimochun@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 16:02:55 -1000
​Jerry,

Having two 87a's in the inventory and having had them repaired at Alpha and
on-site by Brad, they did inform me that the 87a requires genuine Eimac
3CX800A7 tubes. This is my understanding.

The particular tube characteristics are hard coded into the auto-tune
software. If it doesn't have the correct tubes it may/will not tune
properly. Fortunately, at the time a pair was needed a quick look on eBay
and I found a used pair at a good price otherwise that amp wouldn't have
been repaired or would have waited for a used pair to become available to
complete.

73,
Kimo KH7U
KH6YY Contest Station