Re: [Amps] Time for New Power Meter

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Time for New Power Meter
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 00:16:40 +0000
>From Bird's website: http://askbird.birdrf.com/afmmain.aspx?faqid=110

Al
AN2ZY

-----Original Message-----
From: Amps [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Alek Petkovic
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2015 8:10 PM
To: AMPS

Might I be allowed to suggest that Accuracy +/- 5% of Full Scale Power"
means that the best accuracy they guarantee is that 5% at full scale.

At lower readings, it may still be 5% or it might be a little more.
Whatever the figure might be, to cover their ass, the manufacturer is not going
to make any guarantees other than at full scale.

To suggest +/- 125 Watts anywhere on the scale, for a 2500 Watt range, simply
does not make sense and it would make a total mockery of the using the
instrument as a power measuring device.

73, Alek.
VK6APK

> > By Joe and Roger's interpretation, the reading anywhere on the scale
> > could be off by +/- 125 watts, even at very low readings. Do you
> > really think that is what Bird meant?
>
> Yes, that is *exactly* what Bird meant.  The specifications in my Bird
> Model 43 Instruction Book say: "Accuracy - +/- 5% of Full Scale
> Power".  If *your* interpretation were correct it would say "+/- 5% of
> indicated power" but it doesn't.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 2015-05-03 6:35 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
>> ------------ ORIGINAL MESSAGE ------------(may be snipped)
>>
>> On Sun, 03 May 2015 08:44:10 -0400, W4TV wrote:
>>
>>> No, Roger is correct.  Bird's specification is 5% *of full scale*.
>>> That means the Bird's accuracy is +/- 125 Watts *anywhere* using a
>>> 2500 Watt element.
>>
>> REPLY:
>>
>> Total nonsense. Manufacture re specify "full scale accuracy" only
>> because they do not guarantee linearity and accuracy below full scale.
>> In other words, the accuracy is guaranteed only at full scale and
>> nowhere else.
>>
>> By Joe and Roger's interpretation, the reading anywhere on the scale
>> could be off by +/- 125 watts, even at very low readings. Do you
>> really think that is what Bird meant? A reading of 10 watts could be
>> off by +/- 125 watts? Or a reading of 125 watts could actually be
>> zero?
>>
>> 73, Bill W6WRT

http://www.qrz.com/db/vk6apk
http://www.qrz.com/db/vk6ap