Re: [Amps] Need Zener for 2KD-3 - Part Deux

To: Bill Turini <mailing_lists@hamanuals.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need Zener for 2KD-3 - Part Deux
From: Thomas Carlsson <thomascarl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 22:53:43 +0100
Bill,

I make the basic assumption that the Zener in your case is to set the
Zero-signal Anode current (PTT and no signal) to the correct value. and
that value you will find in the manual and the tube-data.

Instead of a Zener, do as suggested before: Buy 9 pcs of 1N5408 and put
them in series, each diode will have about a 0.7V drop, independent of the
Bias-current through it. So with 9 diodes you will have 6.3V. Please note
that with this method you have to turn the diodes so the current passes
through them.

The "Zener-Voltage" is not important, what is important is the Zero-signal
Anode current, now you can adjust that current by selecting the proper
number of diodes!

73,
Thomas Carlsson, PY2ZXU, SM0CXU

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Bill Turini <mailing_lists@hamanuals.com>
wrote:

> Folks:
>
> On 2/2/2015 2:36 PM, Bill Turini wrote:
>
>> I need a zener for my 2KD-3.  It's a 1N4561.  It appears that they are
>> really hard to find and exorbitantly expensive when you do. Has anyone
>> found a source for a replacement at a reasonable cost?
>>
>>  This request generated many wonderful replies and suggestions to fix my
> problem.  Last night I was RTFM when I noticed something very strange - the
> zener diode I had removed from the amp was not the same as identified in
> the schematic, and it was connected totally differently from the
> schematic.  Remembering the wise post from the Henry web site, I decided
> not to trust my eyes or the schematic and asked the learned group for their
> opinion.
>
> First, the zener diode I removed from the amp was a 1N4561, a 5.6v 50 watt
> device.  The schematic calls for a 1N2804, a 6.8v 50 watt device.  Since
> the removed device was not wired in any way close to the schematic, I
> assume that this was an attempt at a repair or "improvement".  So, what
> should the voltage be?  5.6 or 6.8volts? Or should it be something else?
>  Since most of the other Henry 3-500z amps have 10 volt zeners, I would
> vote for the higher voltage 6.8v device.
>
> Second, as for the wiring in the amp, I think it is just wrong, since all
> the other Henry GG amps have the cutoff circuitry the same.  So, I'm going
> with the schematic.
>
> And, in case anyone is wondering, the 1N2804 costs just about the same
> ridiculous price as the 1N4561, so I'll probably opt for the zener and
> transistor route.
>
> 73's and thanks in advance.
>
> Bill
>
> --