Re: [Amps] Linearization problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Linearization problem
From: KA4INM radio <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 13:25:38 -0500
On 12/04/14 09:05, Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:

When this contraption is driven by a SSB signal, the bias control
circuit will at all times apply such a bias voltage that the output
amplitude remains very highly proportional to the input amplitude. The
amplifier will move through several operation classes, from class A at
extremely low signals, over class AB, right into non-saturated class C
where it will stay over most of its dynamic range, and moving into class
E at the highest amplitude levels.  The result will be very good
amplitude linearity, along with pretty good average efficiency over the
entire dynamic range. I expect something like 60% average efficiency in
SSB, compared to 20% or so for conventional linear amps.

Now the question: How can I get an undistorted sample of the drive
signal, for my input-side envelope detector?

Simple; Dougherty amplifier. Two tubes one class "C" (positively modulated) the other class "A" (negatively modulated) many variations exist.
--
  Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                Every action results in unwanted side effects.