Re: [Amps] Cool Amp Silver Plating

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Cool Amp Silver Plating
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 09:24:26 +0100
One skin depth is 2.6 divided by the square root of the frequency in MHz -
that's the answer in thousandths of an inch. (ITT 'Reference data for Radio
Engineers') So at 10 GHz, one skin depth is 26 microinches, or about 1 micron.
You would need at least 3 skin depths. Whether or not the plating is smooth
enough, I do not know. I have heard that there are two forms of silver plate
(basically I believe hard or soft) and one is much better for RF than the
other. At HF, for any practical thickness, it doesn't matter.

73

Peter G3RZP

 Message Received: Mar 03 2014, 05:24 PM