Re: [Amps] Another eBay Goodie

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Another eBay Goodie
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:48:10 +0000
Hi,

I could waste all day complaining about illegal CB Amps to e-Pay. The
proliferation of them is amazing. But, if I complain frequently, their
mechanical response would probably be to ban all Amps.

Likely. The same type of wholesale reaction ham radio dealers in the US seem to show. When I tried to order a radio from the US some months ago, it proved impossible to find a dealer willing to sell to me. Why? Because I'm located in Chile. Probably some crook in Chile cheated one of those dealers. The reaction? Ban ALL Chilean hams from buying anything. Not fair, of course, and only slightly understandable. So I had to buy from China instead. And a Chinese crook was glad to sell me a counterfeit Icom. It looks just like the real thing, but inside it's totally different, and half of its functions don't work.

Back to e-youknowwhichone: A few weeks ago I tried to contact that e- company, not even with a complaint, but just with a suggestion for a much needed improvement, that of allowing a longer time span for posting feedback. Often international items arrive only after the time for posting feedback has run out! The answer to my carefully worded e-mail was an automatic message inviting me to call them by phone, to their callcenter! Sure, an international phone call from Chile to... Singapore, I think it is? To end up waiting for an operator to find time to pick up? To help them improve THEIR business? No thanks...

And that's exactly the purpose of such replies. Discouraging people from contacting them.

But let's be positive. Those online commerce companies like this one are quite useful, despite their shortcomings.

Manfred