Re: [Amps] SSPA & Heatsink Compounds

To: amps@contesting.com, Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SSPA & Heatsink Compounds
From: <dsolberg@wi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 19:40:19 +0000
Manfred,

I have build several solid state amplifers, including a 1KW HF amp that I am
currently using on a daily basis.  I use Artic Silver.  I found that it is
really important to first of all have a flat surface between the copper heat
spreader and the aluminum heatsink.  I have always had these surfaces milled.
The milling cost more than the heatsink, but it is worth it.  Then put a very
thin layer of Artic Silver between the copper heat spreader and the heatsink,
and underneath the MOSFETS.  More is not better, use a line layer.  I use a
roller to spread the Artic Silver.

Don