Re: [Amps] Unique Henry Classic VHF console amps on QTH

To: "'Carl'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "'Richard Solomon'" <dickw1ksz@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Unique Henry Classic VHF console amps on QTH
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:05:10 -0400
> I dont see any reason why it would not work well at 2M.
>
> Since it is obviously designed for the FM BCB that is where
> the upper limit
> was specified but that does not mean performance drops off a
> cliff 2 MHz
> later. This holds going well back into the glass tubes of the
> 40's and even
> the current QRO favorite, the YC-156, all work well on 2M.
>
> Henry most likely got full blessings from Eimac if they
> indeed used it on
> the 3002B.
> Of course the A models used the 8877.
>
> Carl
> KM1H

There was an article published (Handbook?  QST?  QEX?) for homebrewing a 2m
kilowatt-class amp using the 3CX1200Z7/YU-181.  I'm wondering how close the
Henry design is to that.

The Z7 is a nice tube for HF and low VHF, damned near impossible to kill.
Too bad they've gotten to be so pricey.  I found one company that says they
will rebuild them (can't think of who it is off the top of my head), but
haven't tried them.

                                        --- Jeff WN3A