Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1500 inquiry

To: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1500 inquiry
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 08:21:00 -0800
"If you hate noisy clanking T-R relays like I do"

Jim: Although I can appreciate the quietness, especially in those amps used with newer solid state transceivers, there is something romantic about the heavy clunk and clang of a high powered relay. Can you imagine a Johnson 500 or a BC-610 with a relay so quiet you do not know when you are transmitting? Next thing you know, you will want a house wiring system where the lights do not dim.

How will you know when you are transmitting?

I learned long ago how to mount the relay to take advantage of natural resonances so that a wimpy AF-67 could sound like a KW. It was even better to mount it near the mike so that all could share in the glory.

The ultimate transmitter was that of the Portland police department in the late 30s or early 40s. They used to broadcast to the police cars on about 1700 kcs (that was before they were kHz). The problem was that Salt Lake City police department used the same frequency, and when a car was sent out on a mission, they did not know if it was the Salt Lake City police or the Portland Police. The wise person in charge of radio in Portland came up with a solution. He hooked a large clanger on the wall above the dispatch, so that when the dispatcher keyed the mike, the clanger would operate and Portland police knew it was a Portland callout.

Although it worked, there were some negatives, especially for the dispatch operator. Finally, Portland hired a new man for the job - who happened to be W7VS. He quickly arrived at a better solution and served faithfully for decades. K7DVK now owns the clanger.

73, Colin K7FM