Re: [Amps] Beware of seller orzel-enterprises on eBay

To: k4pdm@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Beware of seller orzel-enterprises on eBay
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 18:10:18 +0100
On 11 September 2012 16:53, Paul Manuel <k4pdm@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would never buy a heavy object from an Ebay seller who was an ocean away.
> Seems to me that is asking for trouble.
>
> 73, Paul K4PDM

The thing is Paul, the cost savings can be dramatic.

Last week I bought a noise figure meter and test set at $1900. I see
someone has the pair on eBay this week for $1800. There is a UK seller
with the pair for £5000, which is about $8000.

I bought a 20 GHz VNA from the USA at $16000, with a couple of
desirable options (high stability oscillator and time domain
reflectometer).  A dealer here in the UK wanted £19000 for one with no
options (that's about $30,500).

So whilst shipping expensive heavy items across the Atlantic has its
risks, the savings can be significant compared to buying them in the
UK.

Dave