Re: [Amps] Can some explain this curious eBay auction

To: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Can some explain this curious eBay auction
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 17:36:09 -0500
> It would be interesting to know whether this seller often has bidders
> with private feedback. I've sold a few items on eBay, and never had
> one. The fact he has at least two on one auction is suspicious. If he
> gets lot of auctions private feedback bidders, then I would be very
> suspicious.

I have never seen or heard of "private" feedback until now, but I have
a guess as to why it is used.

Assuming it is a user option that can be chosen, it gets to the reason
why eBay started going with bidder/buyer identification with most of
the ID starred over i.e. j******8 or some such.

The story I heard was that back when the whole user ID was shown,
there were frequent auctions in which two or more bidders knew each
others identity.   In some cases there might be what I will term
unpleasant events following some auctions and winners didn't like it
being known that they had won.

Well being a casual eBay user (never even sold anything there) I'm not
real swift on this, so it only dawned on me a few days ago that you
can still find out who won an auction, albeit later on, if they leave
feadback, because then their whole ID is visible along with
information about the auction.   So my hunch is that the "private"
business is to prevent that.

Rob
K5UJ