Re: [Amps] More FS items

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] More FS items
From: Vic K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 08:48:06 -0700
This prompts me to mention that I've used a lot of meters like this on aluminum
panels.
They read low, and it is easy to modify internal shunts to correct them. Often
there is an
internal shunt and series resistor made of resistance wire, and all you have to
do is clip
a bit off the series resistor.

If you need to wind a new shunt, a single strand of steel "picture wire" works.

I check meters by putting them in series with a DVM and a pot and setting the
pot to
produce a reading at the point where I want the most accuracy. Then I adjust
the shunt,
etc. until the meter reads the same as the DVM.

I know this is obvious, but you can't assume that surplus meters will be
correct,
regardless of the kind of panel.

--
Vic, K2VCO