Re: [Amps] Use of 12V/115V inverter to power small tube amp?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Use of 12V/115V inverter to power small tube amp?
From: David Feldman <wb0gaz@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:52:22 -0700 (PDT)
Jim, Jerry -

Good points - much appreciated.

The project I have in mind is a 6M amp using a GI-7B tube that can be used when
roving (12V supply), so the Hercules 2 (or Metron MA-1000B, or a few others)
aren't a solution (I should have mentioned this in the first place.)

I gather "pure sine wave" inverters as a rule generate much less RFI, so that
seems like a good choice, but much higher cost/watt. They often seem to claim
~90% efficiency which is promising. Do inverters usually tolerate rapidly
fluctuating current demand like found in SSB/CW transmitting? Anything to look
for for this kind of application?

Keeping the filament on via DC power would certainly be easy enough for the
GI-7B - I'm not sure of the start-up time for an inverter (fast enough for
semi-break-in CW? If the inverter is only used in transmit, a square wave
inverter might be acceptable?)

Thanks again,