Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps2K-FA:AnyOpinions ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps2K-FA:AnyOpinions ?
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:19:14 -0400
> > The Harris MW-1...now there's a transmitter I'd like to forget...
>
> Not for me.  Once it was upgraded to the MW-1A

Ahhh...now there's the rub...

> > The obvious solution here is liquid cooling.
>
> Yes, but how is that implemented at low cost and low
> maintenance to the end
> user?

Liquid cooling has become quite mainstream.  Heck, even liquid cooling
overclocked PC CPU's and GPU's isn't uncommon.  I can walk into the local
MicroCenter and buy everything I'd need for liquid cooling a PC.  Granted,
an RF PA would have higher dissipation than a PC, but we're not talking
about giant heat exchangers, copper plumbing, redundant pumps, flow meters,
etc. like we have in broadcast.  The costs aren't unreasonable, even for an
amplifier built for the oh-so-cheap amateur market.  And when you consider
that one cooling system can serve multiple amplifiers, it becomes that much
more attractive.

Just think - you could go to your local car junkyard to get the heat
exchanger (radiator) for your new homebrew amp for twenty bucks :-)

> But the EOL notice does little to help a guy if no other semi
> manufactures
> step up to the plate.

At least it gives us, and the equipment manufactures, a chance to stock up
at the current market price, even if nobody else picks up the product.

                                --- Jeff WN3A