Re: [Amps] 3CX400/3CX800 Socket

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX400/3CX800 Socket
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:59:30 -0500
> What happens, I think, is that the RF heats any ferrous metal, making it
> oxidize. That's
> why hardware in RF fields needs to be non-ferrous. I suspect it must be
> getting red-hot in
> order to do that. Wasted power that could be working DX!

Quick story:  Back in college, I rebuilt the PA cavity of an RCA 5KW FM
transmitter.  The owner of the station was an ex-CBS Radio engineer.  When I
completed the hardware assembly, he asked what I used for hardware.
Puzzled, I told him I really didn't know.  He then unscrewed a sample of
hardware, took them to the work bench and began testing the hardware for
magnetic attraction.  He used the permanent magnet from a loudspeaker for
the test.  I had previously wondered why he kept the speaker near a big
Maxwell House tin can loaded with hardware.  He told me that in RF
applications, to try and use brass at every opportunity, and stainless steel
as less-preferred substitute.  Neither metal is magnetic in low fields, but
perhaps stainless still retains some of its ferrous attributes depending on
it grade.  To this day, I still have trouble sorting stainless from
nickel-plated brass hardware.  I suppose the nickel hardware has a bit more
shine than does the duller appearance of stainless.

Paul, W9AC