Re: [Amps] IMD

To: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>, "Dan Mills" <dmills@exponent.myzen.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] IMD
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:15:58 -0500
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
To: "Dan Mills" <dmills@exponent.myzen.co.uk>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2012 1:01 PM

> If the amplifier is extremely non-linear it can produce key clicks.
> Class-E amplifiers requre a enevelope modulating power supply to
> prevent key clicks.
>  I can see that it is possible for hard driven, class-c amplifier with 2
> or 3 times cutoff bias
> could produce very noticable  key clicks.
> 73
> Bill wa4lav

Absolutely true about Class C and I had to take special care when using a
boatanchor TX into a big Class C amp on CW. It was as easy as reducing drive
and watching the tuning on the monitor with any of the vintage TX but I
finally dropped the bias to roughly Class B in the amps by adding an
additional relay to the Phone-CW switch.

1500W of deep C CW can aggravate many as I initially discovered  several
years ago when returning to my old roots! The funny thing tho was they all
accused me of running an Icom something or other or a Yaesu FT-1000D.

Carl
KM1H