[Amps] 3cx400A7 and 8877

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 3cx400A7 and 8877
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 02:54:45 +0000 (UTC)

Hey gang,

I've got a new toy I'm wondering your opinions.

I got two new RF decks, one based on an 8877 and one based on a 8874.
Unfortunately I don't have a power supply for either one.  I do have a
functional power supply for a 2 x 3cx800A7 amp.  It can deliver 2250 VDC @ 1.2
amps.

My ps has 2 x 112.5 16 and 8 v primary windings to be used in combo for various
input voltages, for the 3cx800, the output 868 VAC dumps into a doubler to
produce the 2500 no load voltage.

I was thinking for the 8874 to parallel the 112.5 windings and put the 8 V
winding out of phase so it acts like a buck to make 104.5 VAC.  I'm thinking
this should get me 756 VAC to my doubler and give me about 2140 VDC no load.
Does this make sense, am I missing something here?

For the 8877, I was thinking about using a voltage trippler.  I have loads of
extra caps and diodes so I could take the 868 VAC out, dump it into a trippler
to get 3680 VDC no load out.

I welcome your thoughts and any other suggestions you guys migh have on
creating power for these two new tubes.

Thanks and 73,

Paul, kg7hf