Re: [Amps] I answered it.

To: ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com, vaj4378@yahoo.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] I answered it.
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 09:38:32 EST
I missed this question on the first pass. When the amplifier is tuned for
maximum power out, the Q has virtually nothing to do with peak tank circuit
voltages. It has everything to do with circulating currents and that will
increase losses if the Q is too high.

Peak voltages are related to the power generated and plate load impedance.
RMS voltage =  square root of power times impedance when the tank is loaded
 and resonant. Peak voltage is 1.414 times rms voltage.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/29/2011 7:36:18 A.M. Central Standard Time,
ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com writes:

Hi   Steve Cook:

> The question I watching for an answer to was:
>  I the Q changes (because the tank L is set to a non optimal inductance
>  value) what happens to the voltages across the plate tune and antenna
> The original question, as I read it, did not  address open antenna
> connections or the like.
> So for me, if I  want to operate on 10MHz with my Kenwood TL-922 amp
> which does not  have a setting for 10MHz -- do I need to operate at
> reduced voltage to  keep the tank voltages from soaring?
> Did I get the question  wrong?
> I still don't know what the answer is.
> What happens to  the tank voltages when the Q goes up or down due to the
> setting of the  tank inductance???

A well asked question.  I didn't  recall the original question.
First we are allowed only 200 Watts, so 3dB  over a 100 Watt transceiver
will not be noticeable.  If
the "tank" is  not resonant the efficiency will be extremely low, if the
transformer ratio is
incorrect (the two capacitors form a auto-transformer) because of the
incorrect inductance the
capacitor can easily arc at the
capacitor, it is unlikely that the "loading capacitor" would arc as the
load will remain across it.
BTW:  Wikipedia says "CW only" and the  ARRL says "RTTY and data" ??? and
it is only good for
contacts within USA,  so I see no use for using it without some special
interest.
--
Ron  KA4INM - If you have any criticism for me constructive or  otherwise
keep it to yourself, at my age I just don't care  anymore.