Re: [Amps] LK550 neg grid ... and bandswitch woes

To: Gary Hinson <Gary@isect.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LK550 neg grid ... and bandswitch woes
From: Ken Nicely <ken@nicelyweb.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:10:35 -0500
Take a look at the choke in these photos.

http://s863.photobucket.com/albums/ab196/knicely1/LK%20500/

That is what my choke looked like when I purchased my LK500.

I would say you should replace the choke first.  I rewound mine.  I counted
135 turns of #26 enameled wire when I unwound the damaged choke.  That did
not work out so well for me.  The tube arced on 160 after the rewind and
with all new tubes.  I then replaced the choke with am MFJ choke and all has
been well since.  Before I put the MFJ choke in, I scanned the rewound choke
and the MFJ choke with my AIM 4170 antenna analyzer and found that the choke
I rewound was passing rf on 160 where the MFJ choke was not.

Ken