Re: [Amps] Transformer Calcs

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer Calcs
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:57:59 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:24:58 +0100, "Dr. David Kirkby"
<david.kirkby@onetel.net> wrote:

>Personally I would have thought just because a transformer is not too hot to
>touch, it would not be safe to assume it is ok. I've run many transformers up
>their maximum ratings and they are nowhere near being too hot to touch.
>
>The perception of too hot will also change with person. I recall once finding
>radiator too hot to touch, but someone else could hold their hand on it
>continuously.

REPLY:

I stand by what I said. Heat is the enemy of transformers because it
deteriorates the insulation. I agree the concept of "too hot to touch"
varies from person to person, but not that much. Transformer ratings
furnished by a manufacturer are not an exact science either. Some will
be conservative and some not.

Run your transformer cool and it will last a long time. Run it hot and
get ready to buy another one.

73, Bill W6WRT