[Amps] Alpha 77DX

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 77DX
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 23:18:08 -0500
I have purchased a one owner Alpha 77DX, from the estate of a recent SK. This
amp had little use, and to the best of my knowledge was not used at all since
about 1981/83. The original invoice (1977)  and manual came with it.  I brought
it back to life carefully, taking the necessary precautions with the tube. It
works flawlessly.  There are a couple of issues.

First, it has the well known sticky paint problem. I have researched the
archives, and looked on Alpha's site. New top and side panels are available, as
is the face plate for a 77SX.  I have no intention of putting a second tube in
this, so would rather not put an SX panel on it.  Anyone aware of another
option for obtaining a new front panel, or having this one redone?

The inside is in mint condition and looks new, but there is a slight trace of
oil only on the top of the capacitor, so it is leaking. From the archives, this
seems to be a common problem.  Are folks replacing this with another oil filled
cap or have banks of electrolytics been retrofitted as a fix?  Any current
sources for replacement caps?

I have always wanted one of these.  It is a beautiful amplifier inside, very
heavy duty construction compared to my other amplifiers.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

73 Charlie N8RR