Re: [Amps] Relay Speed UP Circuit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Relay Speed UP Circuit
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:05:04 -0400
>I have been looking at the K1KP (K6XX) relay speed up circuit and I am not
>quite following the his description he has on his website.
>
> Anyone understand what's going on? How does anything placed in series with
> a relay coil make it go faster when it seems a straight piece of wire
> would be better.
>
> What am I missing? Jay W2IJ

Jay,

See his description in the yellow box on the .PDF version:

http://members.cruzio.com/~k6xx/radio/fastrely.pdf

You're thinking that components placed in series with the coil would
decrease current -- and actually they do to a small extent but only after
the relay is engaged.  But before the relay is engaged at power-up, the
capacitor is charging to a voltage higher than the normal relay supply
voltage.  Then, when the relay is keyed, the coil is shot with a short burst
of DC voltage, between 1.5x - 2x the normal supply voltage.

Shortly after the relay is engaged, the capacitor dissipates and
approximately normal coil voltage is restored.  A short increase in voltage
results in a short increase in coil current.  Within reasonable limits, a
short burst of elevated voltage applied to the relay results in accelerated
operation.

Paul, W9AC