Re: [Amps] shorted filter caps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] shorted filter caps
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:24:40 -0800
Shorted or high-leakage electrolytic caps are usually expected when
resurrecting vintage electronic gear. I don't know if drawing a direct
parallel to HV amplifier supplies is appropriate or not, but a 180uf,
450V polarized cap can be (for example) found in both cases. In one case
perhaps by itself, another case in series with others using equalizing
resistors.

Also -
I don't have 40+ years of field experience yet, but when my homebrew
4-400(s) PS and my L4B PS 'banged' at different times, shorted caps were
found in both. I assumed they were the cause of the failure - perhaps
secondary damage instead? I haven't had a correctly-spec'd oil-filled
cap fail yet so don't have any failure data - except for plain old oil
leaks. (which probably don't count)

Every time my most basic assumptions are challenged on this list, I wish
once more I hadn't given up smoking...

Jim, N7CXI