Re: [Amps] Fw: Good amp to buy /amp notes

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, "'Amps reflector'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fw: Good amp to buy /amp notes
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:49:53 -0500

Yes that is correct Bill, "IF" you are always tuning up to the same specific
power output!

I was basing it on tuning up for MAXIMUM power output (as most of us do)
from the amp in both pulse tune and carrier tune. In this case the amplifier
is limited in the amount of current that it will draw by the plate voltage
value.

You will always be able to get more power out with pulse tuning because you
will have higher plate voltage AND will be able to draw more plate current.
Now what that ratio actually works out to be will determine the actual plate
load impedance. It could be as I said in my last post (the part that you
left out) the load impedance could actually go the other way. It all depends
on how much sag there is in plate voltage and how much current the tube will
draw at a particular plate voltage.

As to tuning up for maximum power out, that should ALWAYS be done. You don't
want to tune up to only a specific power output! That is inviting splatter.
If you are exceeding the maximum power out that you want when tuning for max
out on the amp then DRIVE level must be reduced first.

73
Gary  K4FMX