[Amps] TL-922A - Blowing fuses ... with tubes removed ... somewhere in t

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] TL-922A - Blowing fuses ... with tubes removed ... somewhere in the PS I presume ... here's what I've done so far
From: Ed Post <edpostiii@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 14:09:22 -0400
Gents,

After firing up the TL-922A after a few years of inactivity it worked
fine for a few operating sessions, that is the amp worked as it used to
work, about 1200 watts output in SSB mode.

Then one day I simply tuned the power on and "pop" lights out, no power,
I blew the line voltage fuse (220V).  I replaced it and pop again.

I started my research here and elsewhere on the internet and started the
basic triage which included the following:

1.  remove the 3-500Zs - fuse still blows, suggesting something in the
power supply circuit

2. remove the HV leads from the transformer going to the rectifier
circuit - fuse no longer blows, suggesting rectifier or electrolytic issues

3. tested the diodes on the rectifier board with a meter and all looked
good, conductivity one way and not in reverse

4. pulled out the stack of 8- 200uf electrolytics and put an ohm meter
across each cap looking for shorts (didn't remove the bleeder resistors
.. i presume this is a viable test .. short trumps resistor right?) and
didn't see any dead shorts

Where do I go next?

Could it be an open electrolytic cap?  would that blow a fuse?

I didn't see anything obviously fried or shorted ... all suggestions
appreciated.

Thanks

Ed - WA2MKM