Re: [Amps] Sweep tube amp

To: dennis12amplify@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sweep tube amp
From: Angel Vilaseca <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 11:37:05 +0200
Dennis,

Nice idea to write a book about this subject. What could be more in the
ham spirit than to squeeze some industrial surplus (tubes and other
things) into ham service?

In a TV set, the line output power tube used to work in pulsed service
with a duty cycle of maybe 10 %. Additional circuitry, including the
line output power transformer would then transform this pulse into the
sawtooth needed by the image tube.

Whole families of tubes were developed for this particular use and mass
produced. But they tend to become scarce these days.

In a sweep tube amp, due to this pulsed mode feature, the PEP can indeed
be quite high and to some extent, sweep tubes can be used to amplify an
unclipped voice signal in SSB. But better not try RTTY, SSTV or AM with
a sweep tube amp.

On the other hand, I would expect my sweep tube amp to be a real
performer on the next Hellschreiber contest :-) !

73 de Angel Vilaseca HB9SLV