Re: [Amps] RF power transistor curve trace question

To: dansawyer@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF power transistor curve trace question
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <mmornhin@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:28:27 +0000
Hi Dan,

> The tracer is not able to drive that much current, however it is able to
> drive one amp. At the this value the base emitter value is over .8 volt,
> however the curve and the slope indicate it would go well over a volt.

So no surprise there. It must be ballasted, like almost all RF power
transistors.

> I will mount the TH430 on a heat sink and test it.

Yes, do that. You don't really need the curve tracer for that. Just a
single point measurement, done with a power supply, an amperemeter, a
voltmeter (or a multimeter with both functions), and a small selection
of resistors, will do.

Manfred.