[Amps] Sources of 572B's

To: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Sources of 572B's
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:05:38 -0400
Its a matter of constant looking and asking around Steve. One pleasant
surprise was an Ebay SB-200 which came with 2 good Cetrons AND a NIB
pair that werent even in the auction description!

Ive identified 3 US manufacturers, Taylor (T-160L)/Cetron 572B, United
Electronics, and Raytheon. Plus Amperex and GE branded made by Cetron.
Only Cetron appears to have survived much past the early-mid 80's and
they were bought by Richardson which destroyed everything they touched.

Since Cetron bought Taylor ( 1959 if I remember) Ive combined them.
There are several OEM versions built by the above, The ones I have here
are Dentron, Hunter, and Waters. There are probably others.

With the only good Chinese manufacturer stopping production to
concentrate on higher profit audio tubes the quality has gone to hell
fast. I get emails and phone calls from many who have had nothing but
problems with Taylor and RF Pts branded in stock HF amps. My favorites
were Penta labeled and now I buy a few at a time directly from China
when Ive no choice. Surprisingly I havent had any failures from that
source, maybe they are selected so he can keep his reputation and good
Ebay FB.

When the sources all dry up I may try some 813's <G>

Carl
KM1H