[Amps] plate bypass caps

To: <amps@contesting.com>, <rfamplifiers@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Amps] plate bypass caps
From: "Steve Flood" <kk7uv@bresnan.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:38:04 -0700
I have an Ameritron plate choke mounted in my amp project.  It is 225uH.  With
2700 plate volts, this is 2544 ohms at 1.8 MHz and thus 1.06 amps.  I am now
assuming the plate bypass capacitor at the base of the choke must be very low
reactance on 1.8 Mhz which tells me .01 or .02 uF at maybe 5kv rating.  Am I
thinking about this correctly?  If so, such capacitors seem quite rare - the
usual internet sources only carry .001 or .002 which would seem ineffective at
bypassing at 1.8 MHz.  Yet, there are many 160m amp designs that use .001 for
bypass.  Perhaps they are using much much larger plate chokes?

Steve, KK7UV