[Amps] Tetrode Boards Grounding Scheme

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tetrode Boards Grounding Scheme
From: "Dugas, Jason A. (JSC-EP)" <Jason.A.Dugas@nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:28:10 -0600
I am constructing an amplifier and am using the Tetrode boards to run the power
supplies.  I had a question concerning the grounding scheme:

The ground potential for each of the boards is tied to the chassis of my power
supply (per your instruction) using 20AWG wire or so.  Most of the signals that
come out of the power supply (such as the high voltage supply (HV Enable 12V),
ALC, PTT, G1, G2, etc) are all referenced to this ground chassis return.

My question is, "What precautions, if any, should I take against ground loops
and/or voltage drops in the return wiring between the boards and chassis and
the power supply unit and each respective load?"

For instance, depending on the current level, there will be some finite voltage
drop in the return leg which will cause ground not to be exactly 0V.  Obviously
this is practically true in all circumstances, but at what level should I be
concerned?

The reason I ask is that I am doing pinouts for a circular military connector
that will bring out all the various signals (referenced above, previously) for
distribution to the HV supply, amplifier, and transceiver.  In doing so I
noticed that I will have many pins connected to "CHASSIS GROUND" but
potentially only one wire coming from CHASSIS GROUND to the connector, internal
to the power supply.

Thanks,

Jason
KB5URQ