Re: [Amps] Non Detergent motor oil for dummy loads?????

To: "Lloyd Korb" <k8dio@windstream.net>, <amps@contesting.com>, "Charles Bibb" <zedkay@telepak.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Non Detergent motor oil for dummy loads?????
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 15:21:39 -0500
From: "Charles Bibb" <zedkay@telepak.net>
To: "Lloyd Korb" <k8dio@windstream.net>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 2:37 PM

> At 01:16 PM 12/5/2008, Lloyd Korb wrote:
>>I am resurrecting an old Heath Cantenna and having a hard time finding
>>mineral oil in large quantities.  I have heard that is okay to use non
>>detergent motor oil.  Is there any truth to that?
>
> I bought a commercial 2500W load from a broadcast engineer.  It was
> filled with automotive transmission fluid (red).  Been working fine
> for over a year now. ;-)
>
> 73,
> Charles - K5ZK

At what frequency?

While it might work at HF for awhile (have you ever smelled burned ATF)
I sure wouldnt want to run it at QRO VHF which would probably
contaminate and ruin the resistive element.

I use a similar 3KW load that was built by Bird for RCA in the 60's and
it has a transition on the front that slowly tapers from a Type N
connector to an EIA flange. Almost flat VSWR to beyond 500 mHz and the
fluid looks/smells as new when I checked last year. Good old PCB's!

As already stated mineral oil isnt hard to find if you look for it.

Carl
KM1H