Re: [Amps] Vacuum Relay Issues

To: "Vic K2VCO" <vic@rakefet.com>, "K5RC" <tom@k5rc.cc>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Vacuum Relay Issues
From: "Mike Schatzberg" <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 13:13:14 -0500
Hello Tom:

I would agree with Vic that hot switching is a potential cause for contact
failure in relays.  It is possible that the Emtron circuit is not properly
designed, and this is a root cause of the problem.

Of course, this is also a potential cause of failure of your tetrodes.  Have
you determined whether the input or the output relay is failing, or both.
If it is hot switching, I would think the output relay would be the first to
go, and the amp is not being by-passed properly for receive.

Your transceiver may have the ability to delay the output of rf until after
the amplifier has been switched to transmit.  The delay is adjustible on
many models.

Take a look at the switching scheme for the amp, and see what kind of
sequencing scheme they are using, if any.  If you already have their latest
circuitry, you will either have to redesign the sequencing, or add some
delay into your rf output timing in your transceiver to prevent recurrance.

I would doubt that running full power will add anything to the life of the
relays.

73,

Mike
W2AJI