Re: [Amps] Creating chimneys from silicone sheet

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Creating chimneys from silicone sheet
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:22:55 -0400
Carl wrote:
> I would think that the ONLY reason some hams would use something else is the
> cost. Ive even seen a few "thrifty" individuals use radiator hose complete
> with hose clamps!

I'd want to be careful there.  A lot of radiator hoses have metal
reinforcement between layers. Some of the older stuff just used a coiled
spring inside which would be easy to remove. Also the material in the
hose may or may not be conductive. I've seen both, but where there's a
will there's a way although some "ways" don't work as well as others<:-))

As for the sealant, I just use plain old "Bathtub Calk".  Unless
something goes wrong it should have way more temperature handling
capability than what's needed.

Before retirement I used to get the Red, high temp Silicone rubber
material as well as the red, high temp Silastic RTV (TM)  made by Dow
Corning for pennies on the dollar.

Which reminds me, if I didn't post it on here ... Making RTVs and Liquid
Electrical tape last...I'll put it in a different thread as well.
Both the RTVs and Liquid Electrical tape are known for short life after
opening. The RTVs have a relatively short shelf life even when not
opened.

I've found that putting the Liquid electrical Tape cans into a small
fruit jar (Mason Jar) extends the life of the material almost indefinitely.
I keep the tubes of Silastic RTV (TM) calk in either Tupper ware
containers or bran-X.  I have both opened and unopened tubes that I
purchased before retiring (in 96) that are still good.  The squeeze
tubes must breathe at least a little as the smell of acetic acid is very
strong when the top is taken off the plastic container even when the
tubes within have have never been opened.

73

Roger (K8RI)