Re: [Amps] Alpha 8410

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 8410
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 02:32:33 -0400
k7fm wrote:
> I recall that in 1955, a new car was about $2,000and a new house about
> $20,000.  The KWS-1 was $1995 and I think the Johnson Desk KW was $1500.

Actually, I purchased a brand new Bonneville convertible in late 61 (62
model) for $3,600. Real leather interior along with all the bells and
whistles.  Weighed nearly three tons.  (a tad shy of 6000#)
> Today, a new car is $25,000 and a new house $400,000.  So, the $5400 of the

Nah, When I started planning for retirement we sold our 2,000 sq ft plus
ranch on a hill, moved 50 miles closer to work, and into a house that
just barely makes a 1000 sq ft.  Unfortunately I should have thought
farther ahead and went for something on 4 to 6 acres instead of one acre.
> new Alpha is equivalent to $432 in 1955 dollars.

Yup, but for between 5 and 6 thousand I think I'd rather have one of the
new solid state legal limit amps with an auto tuner.  I have the little
HL1.5K-fx and like it better than any amp I've had so far.  Were I in
the market for another amp I'd probably go for the 2.5K-fx and the 1.5
auto tuner.

My first computer in 1979 or 80 was $4,000 without keyboard or monitor.
I  now run  four computers of which two are state of the art multi core
systems and just ordered 3 plug in serial port cards to interface with
the ham equipment.  That and two more copies of XP Pro OEM SP-3. Having
found some good serial cards I can avoid the hassles and risks
associated with trying to convert from USB2 to plain old serial. The
reason being there are 4 or 5 (I believe it's 5) flavors of USB2 that
are compatible with each other, but the conversion to direct serial is
different.

Now I gotta figure out how to upgrade this system from FEDORA 8 to
FEDORA 9.  It gets as far as detecting the 8800GTS 640 video card (which
works fine on version 8) tells me it has that card and then the screen
goes blank, never to return until I reboot.  At least it does it during
the detection phase instead of after installing software.  I need FEDORA
to run JNOS unless they've come up with a Windows version.  Even then,
if it's other than version 4 I have to recompile JNOS.

73

Roger (K8RI)