Re: [Amps] [AMPS] Drake L-4 negative grid current reading on meter

To: "Kevin G. Wagner" <w2fa@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] [AMPS] Drake L-4 negative grid current reading on meter
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:18:12 +0000

 A few weeks ago
> the .082 resister blew because one of the cap's let go in the power
> supply.

The surge resistor did not let go because a cap failed, at least not directly.
It is in the B+ line to the amp so it failed because too much current went
through it.

I replaced all the cap's, diodes and the .082 resister in the
> power supply

Kevin, I suggest you test the PS thoroughly while disconnected from the
amplifier.
Simply unscrew the HV lead at the amp, and then check all the voltages in the
PS.
Are you sure the bleeders are ok, because a failed bleeder on mine last winter
caused the same surge resistor to blow.

If you would like to work together on this, I have an L4B here, and I am
located not too far from you.  We could put them side by side on the bench and
find out where the problem is easily.

Rick  K2XT