Re: [Amps] Over running modulation /AF transformers

To: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>,"Barry Kirkwood" <barry.kirkwood@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Over running modulation /AF transformers
From: "Jim Tonne" <tonne@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 08:16:29 -0500
Carl:

A caution on running a transformer beyond its original
design.  After "processing" the audio response in the
modulator must be   flat   flat   flat   and if the iron
has poor response as a result of your stretching things
you may be in for an awakening!

Hold on to your hat here but I'm going to reveal a
spec that the shortwave broadcasters generally include
in their contracts when they buy a "big rig".  They specify
not only the frequency response of the transmitter's audio
input but also how it handles a 50 Hz squarewave.  And
that squarewave must have less than 5% tilt.  This is so
that peak clipping won't be "tilted" or "canted" and so
require the output of the clipper to be reduced in level.

And they commonly specify overshoot ("ringing") on an
applied squarewave of 1000 or 2000 Hz.  Again less
than 5%.

They also commonly specify that the transmitter run for
a short period of time without overheating when a sinusoid
that has been clipped 10 dB is used to modulate 100%.

These are how I remember things at Continental, from
which place I retired 5 years ago.  But I am certain that
other manufacturers follow the same approach.

So the modulator in a transmitter using low-level clipping
should pass both a 50 Hz squarewave and a 1000 Hz
squarewave nicely.

- Jim WB6BLD