Re: [Amps] Sequencing an Alpha 87a

To: <wc1m@msn.com>, "Amps Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sequencing an Alpha 87a
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 22:05:48 -0400
> Paul, does the 7800 really have delicate finals and/or a fold-back circuit
> that can't protect them?

Dick,

I can speak only of my own experience with the 7800 and to date, I have not
run into any PA issues.   Over the past few days, there's been a related
discussion on the Yahoo 7800 group.  Over a ~ 1.7:1 VSWR, the power begins
folding back.  OTOH, perhaps there's some bizarre load combination that
results even when VSWR isn't extreme.

The 7800 has been around for three years now and with the exception of a
minor occurrence here and there, only recently has this issued really
surfaced.  Component Q/C may be another variable at work here that did not
manifest in earlier production units.  All of this is pure conjecture
though.

Through a menu command, one can select a high-voltage MOSFET or a relay to
key an external amp.  I have always set mine on the former and have not run
into any timing issues with any of my three amps.

Paul, W9AC