Re: [Amps] 813 Fil Xformer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 813 Fil Xformer
From: Patrick <flymooney@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 23:23:41 -0500
Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:

> We can just simply turn right or we can make 3 lefts, the end result is the
> same, but one approach is much more direct and simple.  A 10V 10A filament
> transformer is a common item ( I have a couple) I offered one to Steve, but
> he
> says he found one already.  Homebrewing is a great way to save money, but  it
> is my opinion that "the right part for the job" should be a main  concern.
> Some of us homebrew better than commercially available quipment  and some of
> us
> really give homebrewing a bad name.  One saves tons of money  building their
> own, I think "the right part for the job" should be in front of  saving a
> couple of bucks.  If something is totally unavailable then perhaps  a "work
> around"
> is neccesary.  On the other hand, I've seen guys spend all  sorts of money on
> "over kill" parts i.e. using a vaccuum variable when a good  air variable
> will work just as well for a fraction of the cost.  With power  levels less
> than
> 2KW I see no need for them.  I KNOW in some instances they  come in handy for
> 160 -10 M.  Many do not appreciate good homebrewing and  some homebrewing is
> simply junk.  Lou

   I agree with you somewhat. I think you should use the "right part for
the job" when you can. But I do like to see some good 'ol ham ingenuity
when it is done well. In those cases, I am more impressed with the
creativity that some people come up with than those that take the "easy"
way out and just order a part. I guess it is due to all of those wasted
years in my youth hotrodding old cars and having to "homebrew" engine
mounts, accessory mounts, shifter linkages, etc.  :-)

Patrick