Re: [Amps] GM3SEK

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GM3SEK
From: Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:10:35 -0800
On Dec 18, 2006, at 2:43 AM, Peter Chadwick wrote:

> Anybody wanting Ian on email will have to wait  - he won't be
> around until Thursday -  his telephone line and thus internet
> access are down - they say it will be back Thursday.
> He's a bit like me in that we've only just stopped the locals
> stealing the telegraph wires to make bangles out of them - we're
> both in very rural areas!

Around here they steal wire and sell it to scrap dealers to support
their drug habit.  It's become quite a problem since the price of
copper jumped up.

A lot of people in this area have been without power for several
days, but it wasn't wire thieves, just the 70+ MPH windstorm last
week.  My telephone line was fine but the computers were down and I
had to dig around a bit to find a phone which wasn't cordless.

73 - Bob, N7XY