Re: [Amps] SB-221

To: "Larry stowell" <lclarks@nc.rr.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-221
From: "jgroover6@concast.net" <jgroover6@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:09:26 -0500
Larry, I have a 220. I put in the Dahl 1.3A CCS extra heavy duty trans. The
amp idles at 3.2K of plate voltage. I can get 1.6 K on my Kenwood SW 2000
meter with 110w of drive on 75M. I did the mods about 15 years ago, amps
still cooking today.
I had a book on 220 mods that I also installed at the time, they were pretty
much the same as the Harbach mods. You want to beef up the HV supply with
bigger diodes and new caps ( just get the Harbash stuff.) I also got Rich to
send me his suppressor kit.
The Dahl transformer is a tight fit. It does not just drop in, you have to
take the side off of the amp and slide it in that way, also drill new bolt
holes (the side goes back on). The transformer is a little bit too tall for
the safety cover. Some people just let it bow, I took a nibbler and cut a
square out for the transformer to stick out (about 1/4".)
With these mods the 220/221 will hang with the other "legal limit" 500Z amps
(TL922 etc.) James KB4RMN