Re: [Amps] More information for "What NOT to buy"..

To: "Clint Talmadge" <unclebudd@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] More information for "What NOT to buy"..
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:43:22 -0400
Hi Clint,

I was afraid you'd say that...!

That is a very common fallacy --- parts ARE cheap and plentiful, but you have
to bide your time, and do a lot of looking UNDER the tables at the different
Hamfests to get what you'll (eventually) need.

Yes, even eBay has some well-priced items, if you know specifically what you're
looking for.

You most assuredly do NOT buy new! If you did, you'd surely go broke fast, and
how (have you seen the prices on brand new QRO-type air variable capacitors of
late...?).

Let me ask you this: what sort of a price would you put on an amplifier that
covered the whole HF spectrum (no gaps) with equal efficiency from 1.8- to
29.7-MHz, had tuned input circuitry per frequency segment, contained ruggedized
components (fixed vacuum padders, etc.), incorporated a variable final pi-tank
coil to maximize efficiency, had built-in meters to monitor filament voltage /
line voltage / plate current / grid current / plate voltage, had an automatic
delayed start-up for HV, had flash-over protection for the diodes, and came
with a separate full-wave power supply that loafs at the legal limit...?

I BUILT a unit just like this here some 15 years ago that continues to see
daily use to the present...and it was all 100% made from components that came
from surplus outfits, Hamfests, or "freebies" from fellow Hams.

Best of all, it did NOT cost me an arm & a leg, and I'm happy to say that it
remains a source of education for me as I continue to improve & overhaul
different parts of it as the need(s) arises, and as I learn more...

It's been a great teacher & companion to me & my Ham Radio adventures, and NOT
some "appliance" that gained access to the inner sanctum of my shack by way of
a VISA card!

Try "...rolling your own" sometime, Clint --- it just might open up a whole new
facet of Amateur Radio for you, and unlock hidden talents that you may well
never have known even existed...seriously!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ