Re: [Amps] grid resonance

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] grid resonance
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 08:49:20 -0700
Tom W8JI wrote:

>>> A mobile whip loaded with a coil is a series resonant
>>> system.
>>>
>>> Are you saying a GDO will not dip on a mobile whip Bill?
>>
>> The bottom of the coil is connected to the chassis through the low
>> impedance of the feed system.  The vertical radiator has capacitance to
>> the chassis (of course it has inductance, too).  Sounds parallel to me!
>
> So the loading coil is like a trap, and the coax sees an open circuit?

No.  The vertical part has a capacitve reactance and a resistance, part
of which is radiation resistance.  The whole system has a lower Q than a
lumped-constant parallel tuned circuit.  The impedance seen by the
feeder is thus lower.

> The idea a GDO can sort "good resonances" that make low impedances from
> "bad resonances" that make high impedances seems pretty strange to me.
> Can you tell me how it does that, rather than just  finding some type
> of  resonance at the point where it is inserted?

I certainly never said anything like that.

> Is there a way to measure impedance and Q with it Vic?

No, although the sharpness of the dip gives a clue to the Q.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco