Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 06:23:36 -0400

Rich AG6K wrote:
> RE: constant current curves:  I do not believe that a
> constantly  changing slope (i. e., a curved line) has this
> magical ability. .

Unfortunately Rich even if **you** don't believe what nearly
every good electrical engineer in the world knows to be a
fact, including all the people at Eimac who design tubes, it
does not change anything about how things work. The good
news for all of us is we can all learn something new, unless
we decide not to.

Rich wrote:
> How would the manufacturer determine how much peak current
> had ever  been emitted from a directly-heated cathode?

They can't, because that parameter does not harm tube life
in any way in a thoriated tungsten tube. Excessive cathode
current by itself can only be harmful in a metal-oxide
cathode indirectly heated tube.

This thread consumed days, and the results are:

1.) Emission current in directly heated tubes is not a
parameter that affects tube life.
2.) Transfer function of the overall system affects splatter
in this application, not a single particular constant
current curve. Thus the tube information is being used
incorrectly by some.
3.) A slope in transfer function does not necessarily mean
splatter, and can actually reduce splatter.
4.) Your basis for claiming major splatter problems comes
from noticing two stations over the air that seemed wide,
rather than actual tests or measurements.
5.) Facts don't matter, the only thing that matters is what
we accept.

73, Tom