Re: [Amps] multi-tube amplifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] multi-tube amplifiers
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 14:16:17 -0400
I am considering building a dual 4CX1500B amplifier for a nice clean 1500W
of AB2 output.  Since one tube is only rated for 1100W output in AB2, the
need for two to reach full "leagal" limit.  Since I already have the
components available, other tubes are not being considered.  The discusion
of the Harris 110 amp brought this back to mind.

Someday I would also like to build a 2x 4-1000, mostly for looks.  I have
enough components for that project also, including a filament transformer
designed for a 2 tube setup.

But, I feel that 3 or more tubes pushes the complication factor past the
benefit.  One of my elmers way back in the 70's built an HF amp using 4x
4CX250's.  But he had a large box full of tubes and sockets to choose from.
It was a handfull to keep running correctly and never really worked well on
10M.

If I could afford the power lighting the filaments of a 4CX10000, I'd love a
class A amp using one of those!

Mike, W1NR