[Amps] WLW design TSPA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] WLW design TSPA
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 18:04:03 -0600
Hi Jeff
The October 1934 issue of Proceedings of the IRE, Vol 22, #10, pages
1151-1180 has a fairly detailed description of the design of the 500
kW rig. It was written by J. Chambers of Crosley Radio Corp, L. Jones
of RCA, G. Fyler of GE, R. Williamson of GE, E. Leach of GE and J.
Hutcheson of Westinghouse. Sort of the who's who list of high power
transmitter engineers in 1930s. But it doesn't show the coupling
coef. of that transformer. It does say that the Q of the plate
'winding' was 1200, really high for a coil made from tubing! Since
the position of the two spirals was adjustable from the front panel
(for the loading or coupling control), the coef of coupling K would
vary. I don't know if 0.143 is reasonable or not.

73

John
K5PRO