Re: [Amps] tank coil heating

To: Chuck_Partain@maxtor.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] tank coil heating
From: "wc6w@juno.com" <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 17:09:55 GMT
Hi Chuck,
  I looked at your photos (nice work!) and it appears that you are using a
piece of Airdux with perhaps #12 size conductor.  That is a mite small for 20
meters.  I'd suggest upsizing the 20 meter section of the coil to at least 1/8"
(#8) or even 5/16" diameter.

  The load padding capacitor as noted by several others is the wrong type for
this application.

  A few options:

  1. Change the load vacuum cap to 1400pF and eschew the padder.

  2. Use a better quality padder.
      A Jennings JSLF-450
          or
      Several Centralab (or equiv.) 850 series ceramic NPO's in parallel
          or
      An air fixed capacitor -- or perhaps a variable used as one.
          or
      A large transmitting mica -- This may be physically too large

  3. Switch the existing padder so that it is only in circuit on 80 and
therefore only handles a minority of the current.  Not truly optimum.

73 & Good morning,
  Marv WC6W

-- "Partain, Chuck" <Chuck_Partain@maxtor.com> wrote:
I'll go peruse the archives again but I'm going to post this here anyway.
I noticed while on 20m tonight running about a kw that the tank coil was
getting
HOT, one of the wires connected to it (the 20m section) was turning a nice shade
of darker! the coil is warm.

also When I pulled the cover (I was looking to see where all the hot smell was
comming from)
I noticed that a doorknob cap I have installed next to the load vacuum cap was
also warm!
i'm using that cap to get me on 80m its in parallel with the 1000pf vacuum cap

everyone I talk to with it said they notice NO noticible difference when its on
or off only
a few s units higher! (no audible distortion)

the cap I am using is labelled n4700   591m 30kv  706h and has a c with an m
inside of it.

are these suitable for what I am doing? hell, its 30kv! why warm? what should I
be looking for?
the amp seems to load up pretty good into the vertical with an swr of less than
1.3 to 1

thanks for any help

chuck, ka1mwp

the schematic is at